Friday, July 11, 2014

L.I.F.E.

Luchemos para una Infancia Feliz y con Esperanza
We strive for a Childhood with Happiness and Hope

This week I have been much busier, because I have started the volunteering portion of my trip. It was very stressful getting in contact with the organization last week and setting up a time to have my orientation. Originally, they wanted me to meet the son of the founder at his apartment last Friday night at 8:00pm. At this point, I was very hesitant that volunteering with LIFE would even work out. It was a very odd time and place to do an orientation, so I asked if it was possible to meet at the office a different time.  I scheduled a meeting at the office on Saturday morning. Thankfully, everything is legitimate.

LIFE was started by a woman named Liliana. Originally, volunteers were family and friends who she asked to help put on birthday parties in the Villas (slums) of Buenos Aires. Soon, she had more and more requests to help with the birthday parties. LIFE, then expanded it's programs to after school activities. A friend of Liliana's offered to make a website for her to communicate to volunteers. After it was launched, students from other countries wanted to come to volunteer with LIFE.

Now, LIFE offers programs at 4 or so different locations a few times a week. Most of the time, we just play with the kids. So far we have done glitter projects, puzzles, games, jump rope and made friendship bracelets. Some times volunteers also help with homework or health lessons for teens. There is one full time staff member and two interns who help coordinate the volunteers. There is also a small living quarters for volunteers at the office.

There is a special program for a village in the north of Argentina, where volunteers have been working to provide opportunities for the children living there. More students are going to high school from that village than ever before.

FUN FACT: LIFE with the first organization to work with TOMS shoes!!

Unfortunately, 24 hours after being around all the kids, I caught a cold. I have been drinking lots of tea and slept 10 hours last night. I'm hoping I will be better by Sunday for the Argentina vs. Germany world up game!



No comments:

Post a Comment