I don't remember who it was but, when I told one of my good friends that I was going to Argentina for a month, his response was "You are going to come back SOOO TAN!!". That is SO wrong though. The weather here is like Portland winter. For those of you who don't live in Portland, that means highs int he 40s (occasionally the 50s) and very very grey. It even rained all day here on Saturday. I felt right at home walking 30 minutes to a bar to watch the Argentina vs. Belgium world up game. I was not in the mood for a cold drink, so I got a submarino. It is basically a fancy hot chocolate. They heat up milk very hot, then drop a chunk of rich chocolate in it to melt. It is up to you to stir the chocolate and the milk together. It was exactly what I needed after the long cold walk.
Submarino While Watching the Soccer Game.
This was the first game I had watch a game in a restobar (half restaurant half bar). It was something unlike anything we have in the U.S. Everyone reacted to game together, cheering and groaning. Even on our walk to the bar, we hear the whole neighborhood erupt with joy when Argentina scored.
Colonial, Uruguay
Colonial is a small tourist town, an hour ferry ride from Buenos Aires. There a few museums, lots of cafes, a verity of Spanish and Portuguese architecture and a crafts market. The boat ride was much choppier than I expected, but with an early start it was beautiful to watch the sun rise over the water. The strange thing about the town is that you can get US dollars out of any of the ATMS and all of the stores accept USD, Argentinean peso and Uruguayan pesos.
Sunrise Through the Port Hole
Although we had a very stressful time getting to the port to catch the boat, it was worth it. The weather was less than ideal, it was in the low 40s and extremely windy. It's been a long time since I have been that cold for a long period of time. To warm up we stopped at a cafe before continuing to explore the town. I didn't take any pictures of the market, but there were many hang crafted things. There were ceramics, wool, and many many many mate cups. I bought some presents at the market for my family.
Subarminos and Media Lunas at the Cafe
The Old Church
Wondering Around the Historic District
Restaurant in the History District
Before heading back to the ferry we stopped for lunch at a restaurant who's name translates to "Drug Store". The inside was decorated with lots of bright colors. I was originally going to get a traditional Uruguayan stew, but they were out so I ordered chorizo instead. This one was MUCH better than the last one I had. It was very nicely browed and the flavors of the spices came out beautifully.
The Best Steak I've Ever Had
No comments:
Post a Comment