Saturday, July 26, 2014

Ya ha sido un mes!

I have already been here for a month! It has gone by so fast. I can't believe I only have 2 weeks of classes left. There is still so much I want to do in Buenos Aires. Mom and Alaina come on Sunday and I will not be volunteering when they are here, so that I can spend time with them.

Friday night, instead of staying up ridiculously late, I decided to teach myself how to make empanadas. Since you can buy pre-made, pre-rolled dough in the grocery stores it was actually very easy. I also bought a packages of spices labeled Condimento para Empanadas y Rellenos. 


Perfectly Browed Empanadas

 Salad Empanadas and Wine for Dinner


Inside Chicken Empanadas

Other Adventures

This week I took a day off from volunteering to go to La MamBA. El Museo de Arte Moderno de Buenos Aires. The museum lies on the edge of San Telmo, so we walked back down the street where the San Telmo market takes place.

Calle Defensa

The museum had four exhibits. The first one, was kind of odd and the art was very serious. One piece included porn, another was a office furniture covered in snow, and one was a the credits of a person's entire life. There was one thing that I found very interesting. Someone collected dedication pages of books and displayed the most heart felt ones. 

The other exhibits were much more normal modern art. One had a combination of white and colored walls, and the other made it seem as if there were no walls in the room. The paintings were hung buy string to seem like they were floating.

The Dedication Pages


Colored Walls




Floating Paintings



On the way back from the museum, we explored a little. We found a really cool disorganized bookstore and decaying old church. 

Book Store


Iglesia San Domino



On Saturday, I walk to the Japanese Garden which is located in the parks of Palermo. Weekend mornings are very slow in Buenos Aires, so there were not very many people around on my way there. I just kind of wandered up towards the park. On the way went to a large metal flower, that opens and closes with the sun. 
Church in La Recoleta

Walk to Palermo

Floralis Generica

The Japanese garden is one of the best kept gardens in the city. It is maintained and run by the Japanese society in Buenos Aires. There are koi ponds, bridges, a tea house, and bonsai garden. 

Japanese Garden






No comments:

Post a Comment